By: Nadene Round & Alta Pryun
2012 marks our 4th Annual T-shirt design contest. The contest was implemented by former Avon BHOP worker, Alta Pryun.
The contest is directed towards Native American Women in an attempt to help raise awareness on breast health, educate on the importance of early detection, and help encourage Native Women to keep up on their self-exams, clinical exams, and Mammograms.
The first stage is advertising - Alta created a flyer for 2012; this was hung up around town and handed out at hospitals, schools, The Missoula Indian Center, Indian Reservations, community centers, and local businesses. The backside of the flyer has the application for the contest and consent for release. We begin advertising in February, the contest ending on May 1st.
The judging panel is made up of Native American Women in the community. The artists remain anonymous to the judges and the winner is chosen according to their final vote. The winning artist receives a gift card for $125 and a t-shirt, 2nd place receives a $75 gift card, and 3rd place is given a $50 gift card!
Once the winner is decided, it is time to make up the T-shirts and posters! After scanning art into computer, we add AVON and other affiliates logo's and finalize wording and design placement. Once approved by AVON we print the T-shirts (120 ct) and print (3) 18X24 posters and frame them (we give one poster to The Missoula Indian Center, one for local AVON Outreach office, and the third one goes to Partnership Health Center).
As a way of celebrating the winner, the winning design, along with all other entries, is displayed at a community event. In Missoula, the first Friday of every month, 5pm-8pm, is dedicated to local art. Businesses in the downtown area hang up local art in their store and open their doors to the public, providing wine, water, and finger foods to those who wander through. It is a busy night as people walk up and down the streets, appreciating art and the community. This year, we partnered with the MSO HUB and held a display on First Friday 07/06/12.
The T-shirts are given as incentives to Native American Women who are screened using the Montana Cancer Screening Program. I also hand them out to Native American Women who I speak with during my weekly visit to The Missoula Indian Center.
If you are interested in doing something similar, please see our T-Shirt Contest Planning tips below!
- Begin Advertising – February
- Hold Judging Event – May
- End Contest - May
- Get T-shirts made by – June
- Get posters made – June/July- 3 big and some small
- Hold First Friday Celebration; celebrate winning design along with all other entries
2. Where to Advertise for the event and for contestants?
- Location ideas – High School art classes, Native American Studies, Centers, Reservations
- See if can a mini grant or donations - 1st place $125; 2nd place $75; 3rd place $50
4. Judging Contest
- Decide on a date!
- Look for Judges; Native Americans, staff at Missoula Indian Center, Community memebers
5. Make T-shirts (include the Avon logo and get approval from Avon BHOP)
6. Get Posters made
- Bring actual artwork – it can be scanned
- Put the wording you want on a USB Port
- Order 3 big frames from staples
7. Plan the first night
- Find location -Plan refreshments – Finger food and beverages!
- Plan what to bring to the event
- Make poster/invite – get approved by Avon
- Invite all artists and the community to attend
8. Send small poster and t-shirt to Avon Project Officer